Thursday, June 21, 2012

Diet on a typical work day

For most of the work week, I like to find easy grab 'n go options as I'm usually too busy to cook.  I have been on livestrong for about 5 years now, and I thought it would be fun to share the nutritional info from a typical work day diet.

BREAKFAST

I love a good, honest to goodness farm fresh egg.  Now that the Redmond Saturday Market is in full swing, I count my lucky chickens that I can get my eggs from Sky Valley Family Farm.  They look gorgeous and taste even better :)  Breakfast is one large hard-boiled egg, served with a side of sliced tomatoes (which I get from the "Tomato Guy" at the Redmond Saturday Market).



LUNCH

The Whole Wheat Pita Pockets from Trader Joe's is my absolute staple...I go through a couple bags a week.  They make a super easy lunch as you can stuff them with everything from hummus and salad greens, to peanut butter with freshly sliced strawberries (my version of a healthier pop tart).  Lunch today is half a pita pocket stuffed with Trader Joe's Eggplant Hummus and two fistfuls of red leaf lettuce.


AFTERNOON SNACK

I love PB & J, and I make a version using a Whole Wheat Pita Pocket with two teaspoons of peanut butter and two teaspoons of jam.  I am currently in love with Trader Joe's Valencia Peanut Butter with Roasted Flaxseeds.  The ingredients are simply dry roasted Valencia peanuts, roasted golden flaxseed, and sea salt.  The flaxseeds add a lovely flavour, and a boost of Omega-3.



DINNER

Finally, it is dinner time!  This is when I splurge and enjoy myself :)  Tonight I had Trader Joe's Reduced Guilt Spinach & Cheese Stuffed Shells, some baked potato chips, a champagne mango, and half a milk chocolate bar :)  The Stuffed Shells were ok...I much prefer Trader Joe's Vegetable Garden Lasagna.  The baked potato chips from Trader Joe's is one of my favourite snacks, I love the taste and now find regular potato chips too greasy.  I wish they came in a salt-free version...



SUMMARY

Drumroll please...how did I fare nutritionally?  A common concern about a veggie diet is whether or not you get enough protein.  I hit 49 grams of protein today, which is over my recommended 40 grams.  I was happy to find that my usual go-to staples met my nutritional needs for both protein and fiber, while keeping me below my recommended allowance for fat, cholesterol, sodium, and carbs.  Hey, I even have a little calorie left to spare...perhaps I will enjoy a glass of wine :)

Summary of daily intake totals from livestrong



Complete breakdown of my log from livestrong


Voila!  A day of easy veggie dining in the middle of a busy work week :)  As you can tell, I am extremely addicted to Trader Joe's.  I love their selection, great prices, and most products are natural (ie their chocolate is made from sugar instead of highly processed corn syrup).  Thankfully there are two Trader Joe's near our house!

Happy Eating!

2 comments:

  1. Now i know why i have been gaining weight at same speed you loose it :) My diet is almost double yours :) i cant imagine myself eating just an egg for breakfast, i would probably feel hungry right after 30 minutes.. and A says i have such a low appetite :)Can you please share which app/web link you used to calculate the calories and stuff.. i would like to see what can i do to change my diet..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I'm only 5'2", if I want to lose weight I can only eat 1200 calories a day :( To maintain my weight they recommend 1500 calories. I use www.livestrong.com, when you start you can enter your age, weight, height, and whether you want to maintain/lose/gain, and they give you a recommendation. A lot of members conribute to food items, so that it's usually very easy to find the nutritional info for an item. I have even found my HK egg waffles and egg tarts on there :)

    ReplyDelete